***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lauren Alexander: Tomato Tart...


After a wonderfully long beach vacation with the family, followed by a not-so-wonderfully long stomach virus I'm back!
 
Vacation was just as it should have been- family, friends, sun, and eating similar to when I was pregnant. Which means that if it was in front of me, I ate it. From my mom's classic "beach grits" to the cheeseburger on the beach to delicious meals prepared every night, I indulged and didn't look back. But now I'm back at home, Fall is officially here, and I'm ready to find some new recipes that will welcome in, not only a new season, but a healthier me and family.
 
To continue on with the vegetarian trend I started with my first recipe a few weeks ago, is a yummy Tomato Tart recipe that was passed along to me from one of my friend's in San Diego. She said this was her go-to recipe when she was having a girls night out but still needed to pull together a meal for the family before heading out. It's low on ingredients and time but very high on taste and satisfaction- pretty much the perfect combination in my book! Here goes...
 
Tomato Tart
 
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup loosely packed basil (chopped)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
4 small fresh tomatoes- It was suggested not to use Roma so I used vine-ripened. I think heirloom or beefsteak would probably be the tastiest.
1 unbaked pie shell
 
Bake pie crust at 450 degrees for 5 min. Remove crust from oven and sprinkle bottom with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Reduce oven to 375. Drain sliced tomatoes on paper towel to remove all excess moisture. Place the tomatoes on top of the cheese in the crust. Mix garlic, basil, rest of mozzarella, mayonnaise, and Parmesan and spread over tomatoes. Bake 375 for 25 min. Keep an eye on the crust as it cooks to make sure the edges aren't burning. If they are cooking faster than the rest, cover the edges with foil.
 
I made this last night and my husband loved it! The tomatoes could have been a little juicier and in season, but it was still really tasty. I probably would add even more tomatoes next time (maybe 2 layers of tomatoes instead of one) and possibly another vegetable (asparagus or broccoli maybe?) to up the heartiness. No matter what you do with it, it's a super tasty meal that is made in a snap and most of the required ingredients are those that we typically have around the house anyway.
 
Let me know what you think! Would you make any changes?
 
Happy cooking!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...