***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

New Ingredient::New Recipe - Kale...

I keep hearing about kale; kale chips, kale smoothies, kale everything so I decided to try..what else KALE!  One of my favorite blogging girls shared a recipe for a kale soup and being the soup lover that I am, I immediately got excited to try this new ingredient.  I love Heather's blog because she lays out each new recipe like this:


Can you tell she is a school teacher??  

The only change I made was that I didn't use sausage.  Instead I used my leftover meatballs from this recipe.  Hopefully you tried the chicken meatball recipe so you will see how two meals can come from that first recipe.  I simply put my meatballs in a ziploc bag and and squeezed and squished the meat until it was nicely crumbled. (Very technical cooking instructions right there!!).  Then I followed the rest of these instructions (skipping the sausage cooking parts):


1. Brown 1 pound of Italian pork sausage over medium heat. Drain excess fat and set the meat aside for later.

2. Mince one shallot and finely chop three carrots. Saute both in olive or grape seed oil over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of dried winter savory (or your favorite herb). Rough chop one bunch of kale and set aside. (* I used a mix of thyme, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper).

3. Add 1 cup of cream and 3 cups of water to the carrot and onion mixture in a large pot.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat and add three chicken or vegetable bullion cubes. Stir until dissolved.

4. Add meat and  simmer on low, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.



5. Add the kale and one can of cannellini beans (drained and rinsed). Continue to simmer on low for 10 minutes. Serve with a salad (and maybe your carb of choice
.)


For illustrated directions head over to this post.

The verdict...SCRUMPTIOUS!!  I cannot explain how much I love this soup.  My husband loved it too and the kids did actually try it and not complain too much.  My kids are just beginning to eat what we eat for dinner so baby steps for them.  If your kids are experienced with eating more than grilled cheese and hot dogs they will probably lap it up!  My only tweak for the future would be to make double because the leftovers were gone in a day!


   



3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Kale! I eat it raw chopped up finely with lemon juice, olive oil and parmesan cheese. My 20 month will even eat it. I can't wait to try this one above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good too Nikki! It is a lot milder than I expected so i can imagine it's good in any form!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...