***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Monday, July 11, 2011

Could You Go Vegetarian?...

I have often sworn to my husband that I could go vegetarian.  Now, keep in mind my "vegetarian" is a little different.  I will eat eggs...and bacon...and a burger if we are at a burger joint.  In fact I will eat most meat out at a restaurant.  I just hate the look, smell, and thought of raw meat so at home I could go without. So basically I would be an "at-home vegetarian" (minus bacon, I can handle cooking that).  Got it?


I do love some veggies though and summer is the best time of year with all the farmers markets and road side stands.  I could eat tomatoes like apples and I really do feel better when I am not weighed down by tons of meat and carbs.  I like everything a little lighter in the summer.  In honor of our first tomato picked from our garden I made this awesome salad.  It is for sure my new go-to summer side.  If you have a cook out I am bringing this so don't you make it!


c/o Martha Stewart


Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound country bread, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice (about 4 cups)
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice (about 2 cups)
  • 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Heat grill to medium. Brush bread slices on both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill until lightly charred on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut into large cubes.
  2. In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with tomatoes, cucumber, and basil. Drizzle with vinegar and remaining 1/4 cup oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...