***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Monday, July 18, 2011

Lemon Spaghetti: Kid Tested, Mother Approved....

Finding a meal that appeals to my entire family is a tricky little task.  My husband is like Mikey, he likes whatever but my kids are a handful.  My "good eater" is starting to not like meats, some fruits, and refuses applesauce.  My "picky eater" doesn't like, well anything unless its a Poptart, doughnut, or hot dog.  Or so he says...most of the time if I can bribe him to just try a bite he ends up liking it.  Problem is that the next time a meal rolls around its like he has amnesia and turns his nose up at the food.  I swore I would never be a short-order cook for my kids and I would demand that they eat what we eat but truthfully I am failing to follow through in that department.  

By fluke the other day my youngest tried some of the pasta I was making my husband and I for dinner.  I, of course had the hot dogs waiting in the wings but something miraculous happened.  He ate it and loved it!  He gobbled up a whole bowl and then to top it off my oldest came in and ate it too.  All we needed next was a pig to fly through our kitchen.  I would have never thought they would eat this meal but after tasting it myself I understood...it was soooo good.  I am forever grateful to Samster Mommy for bringing this recipe my way.  It is going on the small, but growing, list of family-pleasing meals.  



Lemon Spaghetti
  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 2/3 cup olive oil
  • 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil.
Peas & Prosciutto
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 shallots, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (1-pound) bag frozen peas, thawed
  • 4 ounces (1/8-inch-thick slices) prosciutto, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
Directions: Heat oil in a large skillet over med-low heat. Add shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper, and saute until tender, about 1 minute. Add the peas and saute until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in prosciutto and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the parsley and remove from the heat. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...