***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lauren Alexander: Southern Comfort Food...


Happy belated Halloween to you all! If you're anything like me, you have a nasty candy hangover and are glad that you don't have to dress your child up today for the 10th time. Halloween was a great time this year, especially since it was Nash's first "real" Halloween. But, man, I'm exhausted! And when I'm this tired there's only one thing I can say...crockpot time! God bless the crockpot, right?! My family would probably starve without it, especially when it gets cold out and I'm just too tired to slave over an oven. One of my all time favorite old fashioned dinners that comes from the crockpot is a recipe I took from Southern Living (can't go wrong there, huh?!). It's a simple BBQ sandwich recipe and I swear by it when I'm in need of a good ol' southern dinner.
 
Here's what you'll need...
1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
 
Combine all ingredients in a crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 7 hours. Shred the meat before serving on whatever type of sandwich bun you prefer. Voila! Dinner is served!
 
I like to add sliced pickles and coleslaw to really complete the meal. And hey, throw in some baked beans, too, if you're looking to up your Southern cred! Whatever sides you like, you can't go wrong with this classic crockpot meal. I've yet to feed it to someone who didn't beg for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...