***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Monday, February 28, 2011

Build a Garden pt.1

One of my favorite things about the spring and summer is eating fresh vegetables.  And, surprisingly my children actually like vegetables and fruit.  I spend at least $20 per week on produce and definitely more when the warm months roll around.  I have always loved the idea of having a garden but have always been too scared to try.  I decided to get over my fear this year and start planting.  First, I put out a request (via Facebook) for tips and some nice friends of mine came through.  I ended up having a lot of people tell me that they would also like to start a garden so I thought I should just put everything here so I can share what I learn and more importantly what I do wrong.  I can't wait to see what my garden produces and please keep sending me any helpful tips!  Here is what we have done so far:


1.  Tilled up the dirt in a 12 x 5 ft. rectangle
*I kept an eye on my yard for a day or two to see where the sun hit a majority of the day.  I chose a spot with at least 6+ hours of full sun


2.  Sprayed Round-Up to kill any weeds and grass in the area
*I was told to wait a week before planting so the Round-Up didn't kill our plants but we didn't bc we are too impatient.  This could be major mistake #1


3.  My husband built a cedar boarder to contain the garden
*With a friend's help it was built in an hour.  The guys at Lowes can help you get all the supplies you need.


4.  Began with a layer of mulch.  Mixed in 4 bags cow manure compost, 4 bags mushroom compost, 10 bags topsoil, and 1 bag peat moss.


5.  We went ahead and planted some things that can withstand the colder weather right now: iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, cilantro, strawberries, and onions.  There were a lot of other herbs and leafy vegetables that are ok to plant right now as well.


6.  I am watering twice a day (actually my son is doing this part and loves it!)







Next up...


1.  Plant tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, and jalapenos.  I will also plant some marigolds because I heard they keep away insects and pests.  I am also going to plant zinnias because they are good cutting flowers.  Now I will have my own fruits, veggies, and flowers!


We won't begin the next phase for a couple of weeks to let the temperature warm up a little more.  


My sweet little gardeners...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...