***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Lauren Alexander: Comfort Food on the Fly...


It's always around this time of year when I start craving that yummy comfort food that my mom used to cook for us when we were little. You know, the stuff that she slaved away on in the kitchen while we yelled from another room, "Is it ready yet?!". It's getting colder and darker and my hibernating instincts are telling me to hunker down and enjoy some good old fashioned home cooking. The problem is that I'm the mom now and unless I cook it, we're not eating it. So I lean on some easy, inexpensive recipes that create the meal I'm craving without all the time and expense.
 
One of my favorites that I've been making lately is a chicken pot pie. Sure, you can buy one in the frozen food section but those are usually loaded with fat and calories. My recipe only requires 4 ingredients and less than 5 minutes of prep- top that! Here's what you'll need...
 
2 shredded chicken breasts (you can boil chicken breasts that you already have or just buy a rotisserie chicken)
1 can of cream of chicken soup (I use the healthy request version that has half the fat of the regular)
2 cans mixed vegetables (I buy store brand and it's less the $2 for both)
1 package of refrigerated pie crusts (the package contains 2 crusts, for top and bottom)
 
Mix the chicken breasts, cream of chicken, and mixed vegetables. Lay one pie crust on the bottom of a pie dish, fill with the chicken mixture, and top with the other crust. Pinch the edges of the crusts together to seal in the mixture and cut small slits in the top of the crust for ventilation. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the crust is browned.
 
And that's it! I swear it tastes just like you slaved away on it, meanwhile you spent less than $15 and 5 minutes of work. I'd say that's the perfect combo.
 
Stay tuned for some more wallet and time-friendly recipes that allow you to indulge in your favorite comfort food while minimizing your time in the kitchen and grocery store.
 
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...