***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Less Distraction...

As I am sure you all can relate, my life demands a lot of time and attention to detail.  Pre-kids those demands were manageable but nowadays it just seems impossible to keep up with everything!  I feel like I am constantly walking around my house wondering why it is I came into that room.  I got all panicky when my new planner didn't arrive promptly January 1st because without I'm a goner!!  Not only do I need to remember all of my appointments and obligations but I now have two kids to keep straight as well.  Plus I just need to remember to change the wet laundry from the washer to the dryer.  It seems like a constant juggling act; letting the cooking slide one week then not putting laundry away the next.  I am not sure I will ever master this job!  


So I have thought a lot about simplifying things and so far this year I am already getting better at delegating tasks (Oliver's response: Why do I have to do everything!!) and learning which things can wait.  I am learning that just being a mom everyday is job enough and if I do that with a (mostly-) positive attitude it is a job well done.  It's not always easy, especially since there seem to be more and more distractions.  There is rarely a quiet moment even when I am away from my kids because of cell phones, emails, tv, and alarm clocks.  Everywhere I turn is an email to be answered, a call to be returned, a reality show I can't resist, or a buzzing reminding me that I have to get somewhere.  And I'll be the first to admit that I am not the best at managing my time.  Somehow I get sucked into reading just one more email even when it's not pressing or putting things off so I can catch up on The Bachelor (did you hear they are filming it here starting in March?!)  And somehow I end up frustrated with my kids because I am trying to do 4 million things at once.  Not a good cycle we've got going here.


I understand that it is impossible to be the perfect mom but I don't want to look back and feel like irrelevant things kept me from really spending quality time with my kids.  Especially during these years that everyone tells you "you won't ever get back."  I guess the hard part is remembering this stuff when you are in the thick of it.  As I rush through my days I am just happy to make it to my bed at night!  So how do you juggle your own interests without laying the mother-guilt on yourself each night?  I read this article a friend sent me the other day and it really made me think.  Definitely go read it!  I am sure some of you have made resolutions on how to simplify this year whether it is your life, your free time, your financials, or make-up routine each morning.  What are some things you all are focusing on and which things are you trying to cut back on?  Anyone making efforts to eliminate some Facebook time and give it to you kids?  I would love to hear from you!


If you are a procrastinator you may like these websites and apps.  They have some great features to help you manage your time while in la la land a.k.a the world wide web:







ps...I want to thank all of you who are continuing to read even though I have slowed down on posting recently.  As you may have noticed from that post above I am in the midst of figuring out how to do it all so I really appreciate your understanding!        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...