***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Monday, May 9, 2011

Mission: Feed my family for $40/week (week 5)

Alright so this is going to be my last post about feeding your family for $40/week.  I will check in from time-to-time if I come across any good deals or tips but otherwise I am sure you all are sick of hearing about my fridge and its contents.  I hope that you all were able to jump on the bandwagon and start cutting down your grocery bill.  I am going to start next week with a new challenge that will hopefully keep our grocery shopping budget-friendly: meals that use 7 ingredients or less.  I will use the next few Mondays to bring you easy, new recipes that will not require a lot of shopping or money.  I welcome any suggestions!


Week 4 was rough around here.  I have always tried to be honest on this blog and today I will continue that by telling you exactly what happened this past week.  I failed the mission.    My original shopping trip went well but then I made the mistake of going back for a second trip.  We needed some toiletries but as soon as I entered the store my $40 mission was in serious danger.  Let me back-up though and tell you why.  One week out of every month I eat like a horse.  No food, salty or sweet is safe from me and fast food restaurants better hide.  Any females know what I'm talking about?!  Without giving TMI I will just say that last week was not a good week for me to be roaming around a store full of food.  Suddenly everything looked really good and health and budget were two words far from my mind.  Needless to say I went over budget and basically have eaten us out of house and home this week.  But it felt goooood people.


So week 5 I needed to get back on track and I succeeded.  I spent 39.32 and here is what I bought:


green pepper
red pepper
bananas
cantaloupe
wheat rolls
poptarts (I really am trying to wean my kids off of these, I swear)
*Annie's Chocolate chip bunny cookies
tortilla chips
turkey
milk
Go-go squeezes
cheese sticks
OJ
milk
ginger ale


*Annie's organic foods are so cheap at Wal-Mart!!


Here is what we are having for dinner this week (several nights last week we ended up not eating dinner at home so there are some carry-overs from last week):


LOTS of chicken this week!


chicken stir fry wraps (last week)
chicken burgers
pasta e fagioli  my recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp. tobasco and 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
peas, zucchini, and risotto with grilled chicken (last week)
salad with grilled chicken
slow cooker chicken tortilla soup (last week)


NOTE: The risotto with grilled chicken was a big hit in our house.  We had it last night and both kids gobbled it up!  This does not happen often so I will definitely put that one on rotation!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...