***If you have made your way back to Momsie, I am so glad you found us! We had some technical issues with the domain name so make note of the new web address. Another good reason to "follow" us and "like" us on Facebook so you can stay in the know!! Pass the word to people still searching for Momsie!***

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lauren Alexander: Making a Home...


Last week was a very busy week for us and by Wednesday I felt like a complete zombie. Fortunately it was one of those rare warm and sunny days here so after naptime we headed to the park where I hoped to hide my sleepy eyes behinds some sunglasses and let Nash terrorize others for a little while. Just as I was entering a dream like trance while sitting in the warm sun, a very nice girl (lady? I don't know what the proper term is for us 30-somethings anymore) approached me and asked if she could share the bench. I managed to get out a "sure, yeah, help yourself" just as she launched into the standard get-to-know-you intro. Ughhh. I know that's probably not what I should say seeing as how I'm the resident "Get out there and make friends" blogger but that's exactly how I felt at that moment. I was so drained from a busy week, had found my little sunny spot to melt into, and Nash was happily eating wood chips in silence. Nevermind all of that though because here I was and here she was and we were about to get our friend on.
My new friend was super cute, had an adorable daughter with her who appeared to be about Nash's age, and couldn't have been more friendly. This could be worse. I've had other, uh, friendly types approach me before and it didn't end well. But I had a good feeling about this one so I snapped myself awake enough to have a conversation. We made the obligatory introductions of ourself and our little ones (turns out the kids are about the same age), where we live, where we're from, if we work, etc etc. Turns out she's a local and still has a hard time making and keeping meaningful friendships. I figured this was just an issue someone who has moved around has but she voiced the same issues for herself and she was born and raised here!. I ended up giving her, the local, feedback on places I went and groups I joined in an attempt to make friends. I could tell she thought the whole meet up thing was a little weird, like some creepy chat room for loners, but I did my best to convince her that I had found great success in it and made some wonderful friends. I encouraged her to check out the group I'm an active member in and tried to allay her fears that we weren't a cult of overbearing moms. We chatted some more but as Nash began chewing on the bench I figured it was time to head home for dinner. We said our goodbyes and nice to meet yous and that was that.
Later I realized that I should have gotten her email or phone number; that maybe I could have invited her to a specific event or get together and introduced her to some of my friends. This is when I realized two things: I was really, really tired that afternoon and was doing good to just remember to bring Nash home with me. The other is that I have really and truly settled into my new hometown. I have friends and playdates; girls nights out and book club; date night with my husband and time alone to wander wherever I want to. I have come into my own here, enough so that I can meet a stranger at a park (who is actually from the area) and feel comfortable enough to give her tips on how to not just live here but to make a home here. I can't say that we'll live in Seattle forever but I know that, for now, it's home and I'm happy to say it's actually starting to feel that way.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that is all good and well but don't go getting too settled...I expect you back on the East Coast sooner rather than later!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...